Thursday, December 17, 2009

Tutoring

This fall has been a great time for tutoring. I love math, and I have had a great variety in the tutoring jobs that I have had this fall. Yes, I know I am crazy, but here are some of the highlights:

-Two column geometry proofs (those of you who read this will think I am nuts, but it is like putting a puzzle together and it so amazing to see how the pieces fit together. So much fun!)

-Arithmetic in different bases - I did some of this when I was young, but not enough to really learn and understand it. I really understand how it all works now and how it all ties into our common bse 10 system. I can even handle base 12 and hexadecimal. Subtracting, adding, multiplying, "carrying", "borrowing". I love it all!

-Factoring Trinomials- A couple of years ago I learned a very cool method that eliminated the guess and check system that I learned and used for factoring as a high school student. It always works! It has been fun to share that with others and to just enjoy a part of math that I have loved for many, many years.

I am grateful for the opportunity to help people with math and look forward to the fun that next semester will bring!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

You're crazy! :) But then someone needs to do it, and I am glad to know where to go when I have problems!!