Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Mother's Musings

I consider myself very sentimental, and at this time of year it gets pretty extreme. My youngest child and oldest child (my two girls) having birthdays two days apart, I feel like I celebrate firsts and lasts all at once. My oldest is now 11 and my youngest is 6, and I can't help but wonder where the days and weeks and months and years have gone.

I watched my youngest on her birthday, bubbling over with the sheer excitement of the day, even though celebrations wouldn't happen until the day after her birthday. She couldn't walk without skipping and she couldn't talk without grinning wide. She is at the peak of young childhood. She finds the most excitement in things big and small. She is joy personified.
I watched my eldest today on her birthday. She is in such a wonderful stage right now. In so many ways she is still the innocent, sweet and wonderful little girl that I have loved since the instant I knew she was growing inside of me. And in so many other ways she is already becoming a sweet, amazing, talented, smart, beautiful, eye-shining young women. Sometimes when I look at her I see the child, and sometimes the young woman. Sometimes I am reminded of where she has been, and other times I see where she is going. It is really quite miraculous.
Sometimes I wonder how it is possible to have so much love for two little girls at the same time. I feel honored and blessed that I have been chosen to be their mother.

I am sure that similar sentimental moments will happen in the coming months as my two favorite not-so-little boys celebrate milestones of their own.

What a blessing it is to be a mom!

No comments: