Friday, December 7, 2012

I love this time of year


I love Christmas! Not only do I love Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but I love this whole month leading up to these wonderful days. I love the music (my Christmas music playlist is playing almost constantly), the sparkling lights that make me smile, the decorations, Christmas movies that make me feel good (even if they are a little cheesy), picking out the perfect gifts and gatherings with family and friends. But mostly I just love the feeling of this season. We strive each day, all year long, to remember Jesus Christ and follow him, but there is something tender about remembering him coming to earth as a little baby. Somehow the Christmas story combines simplicity and splendor and feels so miraculous. I wish that I was better at expressing my awe, my gratitude and my love.

I am so grateful that I get to spend this season with these four. They add the perfect amount of childlike wonder and joy to the rest of the feelings of the season. Because of them I get to understand a different side of the Christmas story, that of a mother's love for her child.
And while I know Christmas is not about presents, I do enjoy the spirit of giving as I plan little surprises for them and Brian.  I can't wait to share in their excitement.

Last night Brian and I went to a Christmas dinner hosted by his division at work. It was held in a beautiful building with simple, yet elegant decorations. The food was delicious. There was wonderful entertainment (Christmas music never gets old and the performers were very engaging). And I enjoyed sitting with some of the people that work in Brian's office. It was wonderful to meet a few new people and get to know others better. And we got to bring home a Christmas CD. My playlist just got a little longer. Mostly I loved sharing this evening with the person I love the most (although we didn't get a picture of the two of us together.)

And I love stuff like this to help me remember what is most important.

No comments: