Thursday, November 26, 2015

Grateful

I took this chance to write a list of 30 things I am thankful for. This is certainly not comprehensive, but it was wonderful to take some time to think about the blessings that fill my life.

1. Brian - What would I do without his love and support?

2. My kids - They are each unique and special blessings from heaven

3. My parents - They have given me so much and taught me so much. They gave me the most wonderful start in life, and still bless me every day, even from 2500 miles away.

4. My grandparents - It has been a blessing to have my grandparents be such a huge part of my life, and for them to be part of my children's lives has been an incredible experience as well.

5. The gospel of Jesus Christ and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - The gospel helps me learn what I need to do to become like my Savior, it helps me understand the purpose of this life, and there is life beyond, and the church makes ordinances and covenants available to me to help me stay on the right path.

6. My home - I am grateful for the shelter, comfort and protection my home provides. And I am grateful to have a place to live that just feels wonderful.

7. Food - We are blessed with plenty. We are blessed to be able to get food whenever we need it, and even when we want it.

8. Clothing - Once again, we are blessed with what we need and beyond. (We are also blessed with ways to clean our clothes very easily!)

9. My vision challenges - As hard as it is sometimes to not be able to see like others do, my vision challenges have made me who I am. It has helped me learn reliance on the Lord. I have been blessed by the service of others, and I have been given opportunities that I wouldn't otherwise have received.

10. Music - Good music can lift my mood and increase my energy, it can help me feel peace and calm. It helps me remember experiences and feelings.

11. The scriptures - I love the Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. I love the examples of amazing people. I love the spirit I feel as I read. I love that I can find answers to my questions there.

12. Education - I am so grateful for parents, teachers and mentors and all of their efforts to teach me. I really loved school. I especially loved math. I am grateful for the opportunity I had for a college education in a wonderful place!I am grateful for y children's amazing teachers and for the things they are learning too.

13. Brian's employment - He has been blessed with great opportunities. He has been led to jobs and positions that have helped him grow. And we are blessed that I am financially able to stay home with our kids. I love that he works at BYU. It is so wonderful to still have an association with this great university.

14. Callings - In my church, callings are a way for individuals to serve with the ward (congregation). I have served as teacher, music leader, activity day leader (with the 8-11 year old girls), as well as in Presidencies of the Primary (the organization for children up to age 11), the Young Women (helping with the girls ages 12-18), and The Relief Society (the women's organization). Each calling I have received has allowed me to grow. I have met wonderful people, and have learned from those that I served with.

15. Friends - I am grateful for friends because of the way they uplift and strengthen me. Whether they live near or far, are close to my age or not, my life has been touched by so many throughout my life.

16. Photographs - I don't only use pictures to capture what happened, but pictures also help me to remember the feelings of wonderful times (and even harder times too). Pictures help me feel gratitude for the things that have happened in my life because they help things feel more real, even after lots of time has passed.

17. Flowers - They come in such beautiful colors, shapes and sizes. They smell so good. I can't help but be happy when I see beautiful flowers.

18. Priesthood Power and Authority - God's power has been restored to the earth. He has called men to be holder's of His Priesthood authority. Because of this I can be blessed in times of sickness, or when I need comfort and direction. I have made covenants, and I can feel strength as I strive to keep my covenants.

19. The Sabbath - I am grateful for the gift of the Sabbath day. I am thankful for the chance to rest from worldly cares, and to focus on the Lord. Oh, how we need a day that is free of the world.

20. Good Books - There is nothing like curling up with a great book on a cold day.

21.Technology -I love things like facebook and blogger because it helps me stay connected to family and friends. I love iPads and kindles because they help make reading and other things so enjoyable because they help overcome some of the challenges of my vision.

22. Airplanes - Airplanes make it possible for me to see extended family a lot more than you might expect, considering how far away they live.

23. Our van - Our trusty van has helped us do a lot. From weekly shopping trips to family vacations, our van helps us to get things done, and to have fun as a family.

24. Public transportation - It is sometimes hard to not be able to drive, and I am grateful for people who help me with rides, but I am grateful for public transportation and that it gives me some independence.

25. The ocean - Oh how I love to sit on the beach or on rocks near the water and just listen to the waves. Peace, power and majesty are all rolled into one.

26. The mountains, and that they are close by - We can literally drive fifteen minutes and feel like we are hours away from the city. I love that.

27. The Temple - Because of the temple I have been sealed to my husband and we can be together for eternity. We are also forever connected to our parents. And I can feel close to God today by being in the temple.

28. A living Prophet - God speaks to us today through a living prophet. He gives us counsel that we need to face the challenges of today. I know that I can always be safe by following the counsel of the prophet.

29. treats - sometimes I just need a little something sweet to eat. Sometimes I love ice cream, sometimes I love a bit of chocolate, and sometimes I want a spice drop or gummi bear. A little treat now and then is wonderful!

30. The Atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ - Because of what he has done I can be forgiven of sin, I can overcome mistakes and weakness, I can be strengthened in challenges and I can live again after I die.

No comments: