Saturday, July 11, 2009

Microwave Popcorn


I LOVE popcorn! It is a great snack, and pretty good for you (until you add lots of butter and salt, or tons of caramel topping, but we won't worry about that right now.) Anyway, I have a hot air popper, but somehow lost the little measuring cup/lid that goes on top, so it is a bit of a pain to use lately. I also like the light oil flavor of the popcorn popped in a pan, but popping popcorn that way is a pain.

Solution: My sister has this cool microwave popcorn popper thing and we tried it out on our visit. You simply add kernels, a little oil and put on the loose fitting lid. In just a couple of minutes . . . delicious popcorn. Note: We had something like this when we first got married, but you needed to by replacement 'Discs" to set in the bottom so that the thing would work. I hate stuff like that that needs replacement parts constantly, hence the current hot air popper that we own.

Anyway, I haven't gotten around to getting the cool bowl my sister has so the other day I googled "pop popcorn in the microwave." and this is the link I found.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Microwave-Popcorn:-Home-made,-cheap-and-easy/

I have tried it lots and I am hooked. It is so easy and so cheap and I don't even feel ripped off if not all of the kernels in the bag pop because normal kernels are so incredibly cheap. I have also heard a few times that chemicals in microwave popcorn bags have been linked to cancer. Whether or not this is true I do like that with this method I know exactly what I am eating when I eat my microwave popcorn. Try it and enjoy!

1 comment:

Thill family said...

Great idea! My mom used to do that a long time ago but the popcorn was usually burnt. If that is a picture of your popcorn I am so trying this...wonder if I could do kettle corn this way? Sugar and salt mixed together. Mind if I post this on my blog?