Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A few things I want to remember

Last night for Family Home Evening we were talking about families; what makes up a family, why families are important, and why each individual is an important member of our family.what a great conversation.

We were talking about how families can be eternal when they are sealed in the temple. Michael asked about kids who are born after their parents have been sealed (like our kids were) and said, "So they are sealed right when they are born." I answered that this was correct. And he went on to say something like this. "I think I was up in heaven watching." He leaned forward with hands in fists as if anticipating something and continued, "And when you were married and sealed I was so excited." At this point he threw his arms up as if in victory.  We don't know if we knew before we came to earth who our families would be, but I loved this reminder that we have people (both living and dead) pulling for us, cheering for us and hoping we make the right decisions, because our decisions affect countless generations, past, present and future.

We took time to talk about each individual and why they are important to our family. It was so neat to hear the kids talk about each other and hear why they love each other so much. Last we talked about why dad was important to each of them. Megan said she loves that dad makes her smile and laugh. Michael said that he likes how dad teaches him stuff, like what the different lights on the car mean/do. Nathan talked about how grateful he is that dad goes to work each day and works hard to provide for our family. I like that he said, "Dad goes to work every day, unless there is something more important he needs to do for the family." He recognizes that dad works hard, but also that he takes time for other important family things too. Liz was last. I think the first things that came to her mind were taken by the other kids. With a little clue she said, "Priesthood." When I asked why it is important for dad to hold the priesthood she said, "He could baptize us and he blessed us when we were babies and he can give us father's blessings . . . " And without even taking a breath she added, "Can he give us blessings for school on Sunday, because Monday will be too late." We sure love and appreciate Dad in our home.

Last night Meg was having a bit of a hard time falling asleep. She came downstairs a lot. At one point she said (in one long breath, without pausing), "Do you know why I like my room? I can look out the window and see the sunset. It is so pretty, you should come see it." So I went upstairs and peeked through the blinds with Megan as she continued to comment on the beauty of the sunset. Then I tucked her in, kissed her forehead and said goodnight, reminding myself that these moments are treasures.

We have a big week ahead. School starts next week. We will venture into the world of junior high school. But we are ready for it!

No comments: