Sunday, August 4, 2013

Hymns

One of my callings (responsibilities) in our ward (church congregation) is to pick and lead the hymns that we sing each Sunday. I am certainly not a professional, but I LOVE music, and I love the hymns of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They carry a beautiful spirit with them and I often learn from the words as we sing. Another reason I like choosing the hymns is that I get to think about them for days before Sunday actually comes. I often have the tunes or words of the songs we are singing the upcoming Sunday floating around in my head, and many times I have experiences that relate to the words. Some weeks I feel drawn to choose a particular song. Some weeks one of the speakers refers to the words of a song I chose and how those words relate to the topic they are speaking about. In either of these cases I feel an increased gratitude for the blessing of beautiful hymns.

Just a few minutes ago, Nathan came down the stairs and said, "Mom, I want to thank you." When I asked why, he answered, "For choosing hymn 191 for the sacrament hymn." He told me about how he is worried about his upcoming doctor appointment and needing some immunizations. Then he read to me the first line of the third verse:

Although in agony he hung,
No murm'ring word escaped his tongue.

He said, "If Christ was hurt by thorns and nails and didn't complain, then I can get a couple of shots and not complain."

Yep, I cried.

Today our ward choir sang Father, Cheer Our Souls Tonight as prelude before Sacrament meeting. This song is not sung very often, but it is a beautiful melody with a beautiful message.

Father, cheer our souls tonight;
Lift our burdens, make them light.
Let thine all-pervading love
Shine upon us from above.

Today in our Young Women's meeting (meeting of girls 12-18 and their leaders) we opened by singing Lead, Kindly Light. I don't really remember hearing this hymn, at least not often, until I started college. I had a group of friends that would gather to sing at a quiet place on campus each Sunday evening, and that is where I learned it. It taught me a lot while I was in college, and still stands as a reminder to put my trust in the Lord.

No comments: