Friday, March 7, 2014

WInning the Battle

For several weeks last month I was fighting a battle, the battle of inadequacy. I felt like there was nothing I did right, and on those occasions that I felt like I had done OK or done my part to the best of my ability, there always seemed to be somebody doing more and doing it all sooner and better than I . I was emotional, and it was all absolutely exhausting. I talked with my Heavenly Father, and asked for help overcoming my pride, the pride that made me feel like I didn't measure up.

The Lord answered my prayer in such an interesting way. Someone I know and love, and who also was geographically close by had an emergency and she called me. I was in a place to drop everything and go to her. As things became even more serious I was able to be with her and her family. There wasn't anything I could do to take away the burden, but the Lord gave me the opportunity to give comfort. And I noticed that as my prayers changed from focusing on how I was feeling to focusing on the needs of people I love, my first prayers were answered. The Lord was helping me win the battle of inadequacy by giving me opportunities to serve.

I am not saying that I will never have this struggle again, but I am grateful that for now, the Lord is blessing me. I know that we hear things like "forget yourself and go to work" or "when you ahve challenges, reach out and help others" a lot, but I was grateful for this very real example happening in my life.

No comments: