Thursday, February 27, 2014

How they are growing

I am definitely not a perfect mom, so far from it in fact. I know I have weaknesses and faults, and you know what? I am okay with that. I am okay with the fact that I am working to become a better person. I mostly feel grateful that my children are who they are despite my weaknesses. I often see the qualities I am working to improve as a strength in one of my children, and am grateful for their example as it encourages me to keep going, keep improving and not get discouraged.

In December we had a lot of sickness going around the house. Brian got hit the hardest and was really sick for about a week. The kids all took turns with it too, but they each were only sick for a couple of days. Needless to say our morning scripture study schedule was completely thrown off. On the first day that everyone was better enough to go back to work/school we began scripture study in the morning again. After everyone was ready for the day, we gathered in the living room and read. When we were done Nathan raised his arms like a referee declaring a touchdown. This simple gesture reminded me that scripture study makes a difference in how our home feels, and that Nathan was celebrating having that feeling again. (Similarly, I am grateful that my kids have not taken after me in the fact that they are morning people. They get up and ready on their own, and for the most part, are pretty cheerful too.)

On Valentine's day the phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and saw that it was the school and immediately wondered which of hte kids needed something and what they needed. On the other end of hte line was Liz's school counselor. She had called to tell me that Liz had brought her a Valentine that day, a Valentine that Liz had made. She told me that she thinks Liz is just wonderful and is really a light to those around her. She said she wanted to call because parents don't hear enough when their kids are doing good things, and she said, "You are doing a great job with her." I am grateful for Liz's desire to bring joy to others. She has a talent for making people happy.

Megan came home from school one day last week, and without needing any reminding or prodding, jumped right into her homework. She did EVERYTHING right away, and she did it well, and with a smile. There are plenty of days that this doesn't happen, but it is neat to see her growing up. She can't wait to be eight and to be baptized. She shivers with excitement every time she reads or hears any word related to baptism.

A few months ago Nathan lost his neckerchief slide. It fell out of his pocket at scouts one night. He was disappointed, but planned to buy a new one. A few days later Michael came to me and said, "Can you go buy a slide and I will pay you for it so I can give it to Nathan?" He was so excited to do something special for his brother, and Nathan was so surprised and grateful. Michael is very generous and is already planning gifts for his sisters' birthday "so it is fair," he says. I love that kid.

None of them are perfect, but they all bring light, joy and happiness into our home. I am grateful that we get to all travel this road of life and learning together. I feel so blessed that Heavenly Father sent these children to me and Brian.  What would we do without them?

No comments: