Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Timeless wisdom from my boys

I wrote these notes down to myself. These are things that Michael said in late summer or early fall of 2012.

He was working on an experience for Faith in God. He read a favorite scripture story and then had to talk aboutwhat it taught him about faith. He read about Helaman's 2000 stripling warriors. When I asked him what he learned about faith from this story he said, "When you have faith in Jesus Christ he can help you do hard things."

Then he pulled out the illustrated scripture book to read the chapter of this same story. He read the caption under each picture to himself, then we talked more about the 2000 young warriors, "mom, this is what you do." Then he read about how they did not fear because their mothers had taught them to believe in Christ. I thought to myself "Michael, This is what I try to do."

I don't remember how this next thought came about, but I think we were talking as I cooked dinner one day. We were probably talking about the song "The Wise Man and the Foolish Man. (I think he was learning to play it on the piano.) I don't remember his exact wording, but this is what he said, "Building the house on the rock reminds me of the 'rock of our Redeemer'. I think it is like repenting and keeping the commandments and having faith in Jesus."

Nathan shared the following experience in Primary in March 2013. In Primary every week they give the kids opportunities to share when they have felt Heavenly Father's love. Yesterday (March 3) Nathan shared how he had piano festival and how he was nervous about a song because he hadn't been playing it very long and how he didn't think he could do very well at all. He told the primary how he prayed and prayed and how he felt he played well and that he scored a 37 "which is a really good score." He said that he was so grateful that Heavenly Father helped him. Candy (his piano teacher) just teared up as she told me about it. (She was serving as the primary music leader at the time.)


No comments: