Monday, August 18, 2014

Ogden Temple Open House

ON Friday we took the kids to the Ogden Temple open house. In 2010 it was announced that the Ogden temple would undergo major renovations. It is so exciting to be able to take the kids to a temple open house. And all six of us will be able to attend the dedication this time (since Megan is eight and has been baptized).

They showed us a video before we went in the temple. It talked about why temples are important to us as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I loved how it talked about how temple unite husband and wife and their children for eternity. Elder Holland talked about how heaven wouldn't be heaven without his wife and children. I agree completely.

Walking through the temple was a wonderful experience. Everything was so beautiful, beyond description even. The artwork on the walls was a combination of some of my favorite well known paintings as well as many that were new to me. The details in each and every room were absolutely stunning. 

As we walked through the brides' room I whispered to Liz that this is where brides get ready to get married, and I told her how the grooms just change in their locker areas. She smiled. I am sure that day for her will come in the blink of an eye.

The baptistry was one of the favorite spots. It was so bright and beautiful and it was neat to see how the paintings on the walls belonged together.

The sealing rooms were gorgeous. Brian had been holding Megan's hand for most of the tour, but I snuck in and held his hand for a bit, as I remembered kneeling across the altar from him. Miraculous things happen in the temples every day!

When we walked into the Celestial Room it was amazing to see how people naturally slowed down and became even quieter. Megan slowly whispered to dad in a very awed and reverent tone, "What do they do in her?" He told her about how this is where we can feel close to God, where we can catch a glimpse of what it will be like to return to his presence, where we can pray and seek inspiration and where we can feel the peace that the temple brings. Nathan commented later on how he noticed how people's walking even got quieter as we went through the celestial room. I wanted this moment to last forever.

As we left the temple Mike said, "What a perfect way to celebrate you anniversary . . . in the temple!" Yes, Mike it was a great way to celebrate, since that is where our marriage started, in a temple.

Temples are sacred and holy places. We do not take pictures while inside, but the church has posted images of the inside of the Ogden Temple. The Church released some images before the open house and they can be found here. The entire temple was absolutely stunning!

We enjoyed some time on the temple grounds after our tour.


The temple was absolutely gorgeous in the morning light, as the sun came over the mountains.





After walking through the temple we attempted a family picture. Unfortunately we were facing that before-mentioned rising sun. It was painfully bright and we got a few lovely squinting pictures. Megan was so cute in one of them though. 


I loved this Christus statue in the small visitors' center tent next to the temple. What a great reminder that the temple helps us Come unto Christ. 


We got a family picture on the west side of the temple. It was fun to get the entire temple in the shot too.


I LOVED the reflecting pool.




There were ropes directing the tours going in and coming out of the temple. I didn't know if we would be able to get close enough to do our traditional temple touching pictures, but I thought it was worth asking. The volunteers were more than happy to oblige. I was so grateful. This is one of my most favorite traditions. 






I know I posted this quotation at the end of my last blog post, but I thought about it a lot this weekend.

"As we touch the temple and love the temple, our lives will reflect our faith. As we go to the holy house, as we remember the covenants we make therein, we will be able to bear every trial and overcome each temptation. The temple provides purpose for our lives. It brings peace to our souls—not the peace provided by men but the peace promised by the Son of God when He said, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (President Thomas S. Monson)

No comments: