Thursday, February 18, 2016

Love

I have thought a lot about love this month. A lot of people focus on love in February. I like February because early in the month is the anniversary of the day we decided to get married and the day Brian officially proposed. It is fun to think back on that early stage of our love. It was thrilling and exciting and also peaceful and calm. 

I saw this on facebook today. The quotation by Elder Holland came from a devotional address he gave at BYU the week after Brian proposed. It was the first time we went to devotional together and the topic of the Gospel and Romantic love was so appropriate for our situation. 


Sometimes the world tells us that love and romance are about extravagant gifts, exciting dates, expensive dinners, or frequent vacations. Brian and I both felt a little silly about our Valentine's Day. We got take out and ate on a table downstairs (Brian decorated with a rose that Megan had received that we put in a vase.) while watching Pride and Prejudice. It feels silly to tell people that, because maybe they don't think it is a big enough deal, but it was what we both wanted. All that mattered was being together. 

Don't get me wrong, special events are important. Dates nights, expressions of love and even time away are wonderful. They create memories and help build unity. Time together is vital. But Elder Holland's quotation reminds me of what really matters. The root of our love should be our faith. It is our faith in Jesus Christ that turns our simple romantic love into something much greater. With faith in Jesus Christ our love can deepen and broaden. Our love can grow and develop into charity, the pure love of Christ. 

Charity helps us to recognize the needs of our spouse, and to have the desire to put their needs above our own. Charity is what makes it possible for us to not take offense, even if something was said that might have been hurtful. Charity helps us endure and grow together as we face challenges. Charity helps us to recognize the good in our imperfect spouse. Charity helps us to humbly remember that we are not perfect. Charity helps us to rejoice in goodness and to focus our love on truth. 

Sixteen years ago I knew that I loved Brian. But I never could have imagined how I would feel about him all of these years later. And I know that it has happened because we both work each day to strengthen our faith. This helps us to also strengthen our love for the Lord and for each other. 

Often times I will catch a glimpse of Brian looking at me. I might not be able to see his expression or eyes clearly, but I can see his love for me in every bit of his expression. He will wrap his arms around me when I am having a hard day, and let me cry all over his shirt when I need to. He will dance with me in the kitchen or living room, sometimes we don't even have music. And last night Brian fell asleep while I was still reading. He fell asleep holding my hand. This doesn't happen every night, and that is just fine, but it was just another of the little things that reminds me that he loves me. 



No comments: