Monday, March 31, 2008

Anne of Green Gables

So new to my list of recently read books I can put Anne of Green Gables. I have loved to movie (and know it practically by heart, and I have actually read the book once in middle school, but didn't really remember specifics about the book. I must say that I enjoyed it immensely. I loved how I saw a bit more into Marilla nad her thoughts and feelings than perhaps in the movie. And believe it or not, I liked how Anne's grudge towards Gilbert a even more defined in the book than in the movie; She truly didn't become his friend until the very end of the book, rather than forgiving, then getting mad about something else like in the movie. Somehow it made it a bit more sweet at the end. I used to think this book was a little wordy, but I enjoyed that this time around. The description was wonderful.

And I love the movie even more. I love how every thing in the movie is so closely based on teh book (even if the order is a little different), but the movie takes the very best parts of the book and improves upon them. Nothing can top the last scene in the movie when Gilbert finds Anne in the field and gives up Avonlea school for her (except, of course, the scene at the end of the second movie on the bridge). Also I love how they made the part about a mouse dying in te sauce more of a highlight.

I actually already started Anne of Avonlea and am excited to find out what I htink of it.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

oooh, Anne of Green Gables. I haven't read them since high school, but they will always have a special place in my heart. I love the movies too.

Jen Lee said...

You have given me hope. I have the books, but I have never read them~ I do NOT enjoy reading very "wordy" books. I will have to put them back on my list! FYI~ they are selling the complete 3 movie set at Costco for I think $40 and I was sooo... close to buying it~ seriously one of my favorite all time movies!

Jen said...

I AM HOOOKED! I just finished Anne of Avonlea and enjoyed it ever so much. I wish I had the third one here but I am waiting for it to come from the library. Read them! It will be worth it.