Monday, November 17, 2014

A Lesson Learned

I wrote several months ago about a significant experience relating to Michael's peanut and tree nut allergies. This experience taught me a lot of lessons. I still consider it mostly my fault, but I was so grateful to see some of te good fruits that have come out of this experience.

On Friday Michael had an event at school. Afterwards cookies were served. He came home and told us, "I didn't have any cookies because I saw they were the kind with macadamia nuts, and I didn't wan tot do that again." He went on to tell us that a friend told him about normal chocolate chips cookies and how his friend said he would get one for Michael. Michael told us that he told his friend that he didn't want one because they had been on the table with the nut cookies. It was wonderful to watch him be confident in his decision, and seeing how well he handled it without feeling left out or liked he missed out.

But the best part was knowing that he, with no mom or dad there, made a good decision for himself.

I have talked about trials before, and specifically how, as a mom, I wish I could remove some of the challenges that my kids face. But sometimes I realize that I am grateful for trials, because of the lessons they teach. And even more amazing than watching lessons be learned in myself is watching my children learn lessons for themselves.

No comments: